As the oldest island in the Mediterranean and with more than 8,000 years of history, Malta is rich in heritage and thus offers much to see and explore for travelers of all types, tastes, and interests.
Most notably, Malta’s unique culture reflects the diversity of societies that have made the Maltese islands their home over the centuries, and includes strong Phoenician, Roman, and Arab influences, among others (e.g., French, British).
Boasting 3,000 hours of sun per year and a similar latitude to Los Angeles, Malta is one of the sunniest and warmest places in Europe. This also makes it an ideal European travel destination all year round–even in the winter months.
This condensed guide outlines what to do and see while in Malta, including where to eat, stay, explore!
Must-Do Activities for Your Malta Itinerary
1. Explore the bustling city of St. Julian’s and its diverse districts
2. Spend the day walking Valletta
3. Head to Strait Street
4. Visit St. John’s Co-Cathedral
5. Watch the cannon firing at the Upper Barrakka Gardens
6. Take the Upper Barrakka Lift
7. Cross the Grand Harbour on a traditional Maltese water taxi
8. Explore the Three Cities of Birgu, Senglea, and Cospicua
9. See Fort St. Angelo
10. Visit the popular traditional fishing village of Marsaxlokk
11. Relax cliffside at Peter’s Pool
12. Take in the beauty of the Blue Grotto from the Blue Grotto Viewpoint
13. Walk through Mdina
14. Head to Għajn Tuffieħa for sunset to watch sun disappear into the horizon
15. Plan a day trip to Comino
16. Take some time out to relax in Gozo. (Click here to help plan your Gozo itinerary.)
Where to Stay
The Maltese islands have some of the most luxurious accommodations, from major hotels and resorts to boutique properties and villas. Having visited both Malta and it’s sister island Gozo, I had the pleasure of experiencing both a luxury hotel and a boutique hotel. In Gozo, I stayed at two Quaint Boutique Hotels and in Malta (read about it here), I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Malta (read about it here). While the islands have plenty of amazing accommodation options, I highly recommend considering these for your visit–learn why in their respective blog posts!
Where to Eat
Whenever I travel I always love trying local foods and popular eateries at the destination (given that they’re usually popular for a reason!). My trip to Malta was no different. Here are some must-try culinary experiences for your Malta vacation:
1. Lunch at Ir-Rizzu Restaurant in Marsaxlokk
2. A custom-planned and prepared picnic with Gozo Pinics by Ana (@gozopinic)–expect an incredible meal served with an iconic Gozitan view
3. Dinner at Malata
4. Dinner at Rendez-Vous Restaurant and Wine Bar
5. If you want to eat in, order a door-delivered meal through the Wolt app!
Regardless of how you spend your time in Malta, I promise you will leave wanting more! I wasn’t sure what to expect from this tiny island nation before visiting, but was pleasantly surprised by the hospitality of its people, the depth of its history, and the sheer amount of sights to see, things to do, and places to explore–and I’m confident you will be too.
Before booking your accommodations, check out my post highlighting my Hyatt Regency Malta stay. If you haven’t already, I highly encourage you to consider adding a visit to Gozo to your Malta itinerary. If you need tips, make sure to read my list of Top Gozo Island Attractions as well as about my Quaint Hotel Experience in Gozo.
For a more in-depth look at my trip to Malta, check out my Instagram posts and stories at @la_wandereuse. Feel free to DM me with any questions or concerns–I’m always happy to help or advise in any way I can!
Thank you so much to @VisitMalta & @bradfordgroup for making my visit to Malta possible! I cannot wait to come back and explore more of what this incredible island nation has to offer. Special thanks to my guides Mariella and Isabelle from the Malta Tourism Authority for taking care of me and showing me the beauty of Malta. I know we only got to scratch the surface! All opinions are my own.